Monday, August 5, 2013

The First Day

Dear Friends & Family,

Allow me to first thank you for taking the time out of your day to sit down and read the words which I have written for you and for myself.

I hope this finds you well, and I plan to write as often as I can in order to give you the best re-capping of my time down here in Mexico City, Mexico.

I intend to one day look back upon this log and re-kindle the emotions and memories obtained from living as a Librarian at Northridge School Mexico, to re-learn the lessons that I will learn and in addition it is my wish that you also be able to get a feel for what life is like down here.

Day1:

I woke up at 4:56 am EST... a series of events occurred and behold I had arrived at the airport with my parents and my girlfriend.  We parked and made our way into the building. Here we checked my bags and here we said our goodbyes. I must admit tears welled up in my eyes and some even streaked down my cheek. The plane ride was sad, so sad I had to drown my sorrows in the Sour Patch Kids my lovely lady (girlfriend) got for me just a couple days earlier. I sit here writing this and I realize even though it has not even been 24 hours I already miss my family, my friends, and Claire so much, and this is only the beginning. I know I will continue to miss them as I do now.

Anyways, I arrived safely and after going through the foreigners entrance I found my luggage. I proceeded to exit where I saw a man holding a sign saying "Dominique: NSM" meaning Dominic (how my name is meant to be spelt) and NSM meaning Northridge School Mexico.

I went up to this man to say hello, but he didn't speak any English. Despite that we had a polite greeting and we hailed a cab and headed for the school. As I rode in the back seat of the cab I took some videos. Sadly they didn't turn out to be very interesting, but despite that I will eventually share this work of cinematic art with you soon.

When I arrived at the school, no one was to be seen. I couldn't find anyone I knew so I just put my luggage down, attempted to call Claire... never got through and eventually resolved to playing Chess against a computer. However, once I started this Tony (one of my roommates) spotted, and shortly after I met four of my six roommates (two will be arriving later this month). We all went out to lunch, hiking up a hill to get to this nice little cafe, and if I can recall it was called something to the effect of "KFE". Here I had a Coke and a Club Sandwich, and talked to the other teachers and roommates about tv shows, hobbies and families. In particular, Breaking Bad seemed to be a very good ice breaker. Oh and by the way the sandwich was tasty.

But nevermind that, after lunch we went back to the school where we boarded a yellow bus and headed to our home, my new home. I unpacked all of my belongings and immediately began to contact my mother and Claire. It was so great to talk to both of them, with this glorious inter-web the year will not be nearly as hard as it would have been without this option of near constant communication. Thank you God for this blessing.

Later this night, we had a delicious meal of spicy nachos and a corn salad. Afterwards we had a house meeting where we discussed the rules. We ended the night with pitching in to clean the kitchen.

In the end today was a pretty straight forward day. A little sad, but there is a bright horizon no doubt.

God Bless.
DVC

P.S.
I love you Mom, Dad, Elijah, Zach, Ariana, Mac, Jude and Claire. And all you friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment